Total Pageviews

Monday, January 14, 2013

Old Waterways Experiment Station, Clinton

Started on my Urban Exploration on Jan 12, 2013. I've actually been exploring sites for years, but never knew anything about "Urban Exploration" until I stumbled on a photo blog by Scott Haefner that got me interested. So here's my first experience with camera in hand. Now, I'm no photographer, so keep that in mind as you view these pics...
These pics were taken at an old abandoned government testing site in Clinton, MS. It is now a public park, with soccer fields, radio control flying field and go-cart track. Back during WWII, it was a German POW camp and they used prisoner labor to build a scale model of the MS River basin out of concrete and other materials. After that, it was a testing facility for Waterways Experiment Station which moved in 1969 to Vicksburg, MS. The pics that follow are of some of the old buildings, foundations and concrete test structures found in the woods behind the park area.
I'm not sure if the railroad tracks are a main line coming through town or if this was just a localized track system put there by the government for this facility, maybe looking at an satellite image would lend a clue...
Some of the structures in these pictures are pretty massive and for the most part, solid. The work carried out here was in concretes testing and with that in mind, the structures do make more sense.
As soon as the weather will cooperate, I'm going back out to get pictures of the MS River basin model and that area....

No comments:

Post a Comment